The MeshPoint.One story
Connecting people, engaging communities
At the beginning there was one man and his willingness to help others
MeshPoint.One was born during the Syrian refugee crisis when thousands of refugees were passing through Eastern Croatia. Transit camps were in need of reliable internet hotspots that are quick to set up and easy to manage.
Valent decided to help.
His wish was to help humanitarian organizations, aid workers, response teams and volunteers coordinate their actions and manage the crisis situation as well as to enable refugees to get in touch with their loved ones and to get needed information.
He took an off shelf router and modified it with open source OpenWrt firmware, put it in a backpack together with a battery and USB 3G dongle, and became a walking Wi-Fi hotspot that provided internet access to those that needed it. And, as it turned out, everyone did – from volunteers in Red Cross, International Organization for Migration and Greenpeace, to people that found themselves displaced thousands of kilometres from home.
This inspired others to join him and, later on, form a team that will dedicate its time and effort to create MeshPoint.
The age of MeshPoint.One
Over the last four years we saw an opportunity to help wider community and offer our product and services to different clients – from those involved in humanitarian work and emergency response, through towns and cities that want to answer the challenges of urban growth and development, all the way to those organizing different social events.
All these scenarios inspired MeshPoint.One’s design, characteristics and features and they continue to inspire its team to keep working hard and smart. Recognizing the need for simple, fast, accessible and reliable solution for building mesh networks and providing internet access, we created the 4th generation MeshPoint – MeshPoint.One, autonomous and smart Wi-Fi mesh router and decentralised solution that works as both single node (hotspot mode) and mesh network (mesh mode).
Above and beyond MeshPoint.One
We love to learn, create and solve problems. This is why we continue to work on new features (integration with sensors and creation of wireless sensor networks), new ways how to deploy MeshPoint.One (MeshPointAir, drone enabled MeshPoint.One), and on discovering new ways how to make MeshPoint.One even more customizable to our clients’ needs (MeshPoint In a Backpack, MeshPoint.One for emergency response teams, like Mountain rescue service, different search and rescue parties, and similar).
At the end of the day, we want to help you harness the transformative power of being connected while creating the life-changing impact on your present and future.
Worldly inspired, EU made.
We want to empower people and different communities of the world to build their own internet using accessible technology and bottom up approach. Our goal is to accelerate the rise of collaborative, sustainable and socially conscious society by creating backbone technology for smart cities, humanitarian actions and social good.
- Humanitarian origins and community oriented – Our foundations are laid in humanitarian action and doing good. Our present and future are focused on empowering communities to create their own opportunities for growth and development.
- We focus on innovation – We believe in seeing and doing things differently. Having enthusiasm, self-initiative and motivation is crucial when exploring new paths in an ever changing landscape of societal needs. We believe that innovation can create opportunities that help people and communities learn, grow and improve.
- We employ a social enterprise business model – We base our work on integrity and creating social impact. We want to use our products and services to tackle social, cultural and environmental challenges and to create meaningful impact on all three.
- We do what we love – Yes, from time to time we all need to do some ‘paperwork’, but we embrace all challenges and we love and believe in what we do. And that makes it easy to get up in the morning.
- We respect our clients – We listen and work closely with our clients so we can create strategic framework that satisfies their set of objectives. And we always deliver our promises.
- We are mindful – We value balance and we practice mindful approach to our work, to our clients, to the community we serve and to the environment.
Our projects so far
- Refugee crisis, (Eastern Croatia, 2015)
- Centers for asylum seekers (Kutina and Zagreb Croatia, 2016- )
- Pannonian Challenge, biggest extreme sports event in Eastern Europe (Osijek, Croatia, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Farm show (Osijek, Croatia, 2017, 2018)
- Kulen Dayz tech conference (Osijek, Croatia, 2018)
- Osijek public WiFi network (Osijek, Croatia, 2018- )
- WiFi4EU: Free Wi-Fi for Europeans (Croatia, 2018-)